This is one of my all-time go-to recipes - it's vegetarian (vegan with adjustments), cheap, healthy, nutritious, and absolutely delicious. It's adult and child-proof... over 40 children in NutriFoodie's summer camps have given the thumbs up for this recipe and more than 20 coined it their favorite. So if this doesn't convince you to add this recipe to your recipe book, I don't know what would! Give a shot!
• 1 can Black beans (drained and washed)
• 1 small/medium onion (chopped)
• 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
• 1 tsp of fresh ginger (minced or grated)
• 1 cup Vegetable broth
• 1 tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
• Salt & pepper
• 1 tsp Cayenne or paprika
To make this a more deluxe and balanced meal, add vegetables of choice: mushroom, carrots, bell peppers, zucchini, corn, etc…
1. Caramelize onions at medium-low temperature
2. Add garlic and ginger – cook for 2 minutes
3. Add spices and until aromatic and well incorporated with the onion mixture
4. If you’re using vegetables, add at this point and allow to cook until desired texture (I prefer to have a slight bite to my veggies)
5. Add in the beans, stock, and Worcestershire sauce; mix and cover
6. Once the stock starts bubbling, mash up the beans so that all the flavors come together
7. Let it cook until all stock is incorporated.
The leftovers can be used for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, lettuce wraps, or Mexican taco salad!
Garnishes: guacamole, cilantro/parsley, green onions, peppers, lettuce, sharp cheeses, and Greek yogurt chipotle sauce (or chipotle mayo or sour cream)