Next up, making mindful moments and incorporating mindfulness into your daily routine will make for a calm, cool and collected 2017.
Tip#5: Incorporate Mindfulness in your Daily Routine
- Mindfulness is one of the greatest tools to build better food habits and reduce stress. To be mindful, is to be fully aware and conscious of your current state like paying attention to your thoughts, feelings and state of being at the present moment.
- One of my goals is to make time for myself and allow for a clear and conscientious space to be mindful. That could be later in the evening or first thing in the morning; at a time when no other disruptions are to interrupt my "me time." Thinking of opportunities that will actually make me happy without the contribution of others is what I aim to do. Structure and routine might be hard to accomplish for yourself, so doing one thing well and consistently might be the first step for ultimate success.
- How to do it: Journaling your thoughts and feelings can be a great way to alleviate stress and practice being mindful by acknowledging how you're feeling at the present moment. No time to journal? No problem, make 'mindful moments' by talking to those around you or to yourself by acknowledging what is happening at that time such as recognizing the environment that you're in (e.g. sounds, smells, sights), tuning into your current thoughts (what am I thinking about?) and how you're feeling about yourself and each other.
- Practice mindful eating by chewing food slowly, taking time to breathe between each bite and putting the fork down periodically for a mini break as well as smelling and tasting each aspect of the food. Many think that this practice is bogus (which I mean, I get where this might be coming from ;) ... and I also happen to know that doing one "better" thing every day, is a step in the right direction.
- Schedule ten minute mini breaks throughout the day to take time for yourself, become centered and do some deep breathing to reduce stress.
- Aim to eat dinner as a family and go to bed early for a good nights sleep whenever possible.
In the next tip...
Do you need help with your nutrition goals?
Book a FREE consultation with me and we can talk it out. I only have a 6 slots available every week, so book yours, today!