Try out these flavourful spice warming breakfast beauties to start your day. But wait, hold the pumpkin. Surprise! There's no pumpkin in it - although that would taste good too! Sorry to burst your bubble but we're talking spices here. By adding baking spices like cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, we bring out the beautiful sweet-heart-warming-pumpkin-spice flavour in the cakes. Then, just to kick it up a notch, we used a pumpkin spice flavoured whisky, because why not?
So, what are spices doing in my pancakes you say?
Another star of the show, cinnamon, my absolute favourite! Did you know that 1 tsp a day MAY help balance your blood sugars? That, and it's absolutely delicious. We recently featured another great recipe using cinnamon from a previous post on fruit crumble - check it out here. Now, let's bring on the whisky.
Spice Infused Whisky Pancakes
- 1 cup of half white and half whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 1/4 cups of skim milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp of pumpkin spice or regular whiskey (optional)
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp of allspice.
- Beat egg, with milk and oil - set aside
- Mix all dry ingredients - make a well in the middle and add wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Lightly grease small pan and scoop 1/4 or 1/3 cup of batter into pan (depending on how thin/thick you like the pancakes).
- Cook over medium/low heat. Allow all the bubbles to form on the top layer - once it appears dry, flip pancake (it should not stick). Let it cook for another 1 minute and then remove it. Cooking time varies with different stoves and pans.
Also, the first pancake is always a test - try it and see if you wanna add more spices or dilute the flavours. Do you love spices as much as we do?? Join us for a free workshop.
Spice up your dish with a Culinary Dietitian
We are hosting a FREE cooking demo on May 28th with registered dietitian Cristel Moubarak at Wesbrook Community Centre in Vancouver.
Bring your child (over 5) along to learn new and interactive ways for integrating spices into your cooking and jazz up your family's meals.
Perks: Nutrition Advice, Tasting, Recipe Booklet & Door Prize!
When: May 28th (free), June 25th
Who: Parents and Children (over 5 years of age)
FREE Dietitian-led Cooking Demo May 28th at Wesbrook Community Centre in Vancouver, B.C.